The French rental market
The main problem(s)/issue(s) related to RentalCal in France are:
- The predominance of natural individual persons as investors in the rental stock.
- 50% of the private rented housing stock is mixed with other types of occupancy (generally with owner-occupiers). It does not facilitate the decision-making process of the technical renovations.
- The French state policies regarding the energy efficiency favors clearly either owner-occupiers or social housing companies not the natural persons. Some tax incentives are not available for individual landlords.
- There is clearly a need of information and a technical assistance to support the technical process of the improvement of the energy efficiency.
- Despite the regulation which allows the sharing of the energy savings between the landlord and its tenant in case of building works, the tenants’ high mobility does not incent to a tenant/landlord sharing of the energy savings as 60% of the tenants have a max length of residency of four years. To overcome this obstacle a strong social engineering is needed as 70% of the private rental housing stock consists in multi families buildings governed by the voting rules of the majority.
Read more here